Tuesday 19 October 2010

S.W.O.T Analysis

The S.W.O.T Analysis outlines the key strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats that I face at the moment. Hopefully at the end of the year I will be able to look back on these and think of how I have improved.

Strengths
  1. Photography
  2. Presentation
  3. Willingness to learn
  4. Passion for designing
  5. Ideas
  6. Using Sketchbooks
  7. Reflecting on Ideas
Weaknesses
  1. Detailed Drawing
  2. Computer Programmes
  3. History of Graphic Design
  4. Proper Development
  5. Explaining Designs
Opportunities
  1. Degree
  2. Live Projects
  3. Student Life
  4. Placement in Second Year
  5. Add+Vantage Module
Threats
  1. Other students
  2. Confidence dropping
  3. Over-Competitness 
My strengths all seem to come from learning through my A-Levels. Studying Fine Art and Graphics has allowed me to generate and develop ideas through sketchbooks. In these subjects I have used photography and photoshop to an beginner/intermediate standard, I also invested in a Canon SLR which I love. It takes such clear, crisp photographs that receive a lot of compliments. 
In Graphics, I have had to reflect on ideas so that I could meet the mark scheme. 
I think my passion for learning comes from my attitude in Primary School, I was brought up in a positive environment with lots of encouragement that helped me a lot with school. I may not have had the best grades, but I have always had an enthusiasm to learn and especially for art.

I used to love drawing, right up until AS Fine Art where we were forced to draw because we had to meet the mark scheme. At AS level I also did ICT which had a heavy workload, some weeks I would type 50 pages of assignments just to keep up. This meant little time for drawing and with constant pressure from my teacher it really put me off drawing. 
I think that my lack of knowledge in computer programmes is due to the environment I have been working in, I have not been exposed to these type of programmes before and to be honest, I had never heard of them (apart from Photoshop) until I came to University. I also do not have access to them on a regular basis, only in University. In development, I tend to skip quite a lot of it because I don't see the point in doing a lot. 
When I come up with an idea I don't really see any ways of improving them. This needs to change during the year, I need to learn to develop properly otherwise my ideas are not going to be fully realised.

In the next 3 years I am going to have a lot of opportunities, mostly set by the university and others I have to set up myself. Live projects are going to give me a good idea about how to deal with clients and what their feedback is going to be like. 
The same can be said for the placement I am going to undertake in the second year which will help prepare me for when I want a job. The Add+Vantage scheme is going to be an extra subject of my choice that is going to be extra on my CV. 
Student life is going to help me socially, might make me a bit more confident in myself which will then help my work.

I feel that maybe, if I let these threats get out of control, it will affect my performance when working. The idea is to recognise these threats or fears and control them in order to produce my best work.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, thank you for sharing this great info. Was just browsing through the net in my office and happened upon your blog. It is really very well written and quit comprehensive in explaining with a very simple language.
    Thanks for your comment. We're really glad this content was useful and hope you will check back with us to read future articles!
    Flyer Design, Business Flyer Design, $5 Flyer Design Service

    ReplyDelete