Monday 15 November 2010

New found love... Metal Type

Today we had inductions for metal type.
Since the open day I've been wanting to have a go at this, mainly because I'd actually never seen it before and other universities didn't seem to offer it. This also swayed Coventry to be my first choice - The school excited me, everything about it, it was all in the atmosphere.


So I completed the task that was given to us in the first session in the morning - Create a logo using your name. I wasn't particularly adventurous with it, purely because I didn't want to get my hands and clothes dirty.. Ha!


I thought about using metal type in one of the current projects I am working on. The brief involves a paragraph of a story written as interjections (sound bites). I am only in the early stages of this project but thought I could change the size of some letters and words to make them stand out from the rest - The words that spoke louder to me on the page. I thought a few experiments would allow me to figure out what sort of direction I could take with the work.


So... I decided to go back to the Studio later when I'd prepared better for the task. Armed with an old hoody I felt I could really play about with the metal type and I believe I achieved some really interesting results...


Mixed the type up a bit, first ink rolled on.



Jumbled up the letters



Overlapping technique and jumble effect - Quite confusing!


My favourite print is the one where most of the letters are faded and the bolder and bigger letters have more ink because they shout the loudest. It visually represents sound and how some can be quite small like "Psst!" and others can be loud and want to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment