Thursday 9 June 2011

A bigggggg catch up!

I miss my blog :(


And I feel like i'm neglecting it, i'm putting off writing down my experiences in it because i'm not happy.
But now i've decided that i've just got to go for everything and be grateful.


So, here we go.
I started my work experience at Work Creative last week and on the first day I was given a job. I was like wow they're actually trusting me with a job, then it hit me - doubt. Am I good enough to do this? What are they going to say if they don't like it? This is good practice for my new 'embracing criticism' rule which I did not do at the time. So I spent ages doing this quite simple design, probably about 6 hours which was way too long but I was so scared of getting it wrong, I wanted to make it perfect. Then when he suggested ways of changing it I didn't embrace it. This was a big mistake. I wish I hadn't been put off by this but I'm only 19, people changing your ideas is still going to hurt after one year of uni. I still came away from the day with a positive experience, I still loved it. I got to see how everything worked, how they handled clients, how they avoided people on the phone! I even got some tips on Photoshop about things I had no idea how to do but really should have. It made me realise how I taught myself Photoshop and probably don't do things the same way as everyone else.


I said at the end of the day even if I had been sat there all day doing nothing I still would have learned something and that is what the experience is all about. I guess i'd sort of lost that and felt like giving up. I wish i'd written this reflection post sooner.


I went in the second day, I felt happier with what I had to do, well more confident as I was asked to do a Photoshop mock up of a website for a business builder. I thought to myself that I would do something quirky to show what type of things i'm in to. But I left at 1 which meant I didn't have time to finish it. I loved getting a written brief, something so simple in black and white that you could do anything to.


Got to remember it's a work experience, I am grateful for anything I get. I didn't think I would get a job to do and I can't imagine other agencies going to these lengths for me to get a good experience. I really thank them and am returning next week after I get my shifts from ASDA. I think i'm going to get them a card too to thank them... Maybe some chocolates or something for their office because it seems as though they haven't been there very long. Perhaps a plant?


A list of things I have learnt from working at Work Creative:

  • How important client meetings are - The client was very involved with the designing and making suggestions about where things should go and how it looks in their mind.
  • How to make a gradient in Photoshop which I then used for a leaflet
  • How to do actions in Photoshop which change loads of files without having to do everything multiple times.
  • Not to try and dress up as everyone was quite casual.
  • Everyone has been in the same boat as you, so they understand you.
  • Where big companies find these massive clear images from. Istockphoto.
  • How well I manage to design quickly in small notebooks.
Talking about the last point, maybe I should consider this for next year - Using smaller notebooks and take less care about the presentation of my work.


Here is a screen shot of the work I did on the first day:



The photoshopped website I created on the second day:





At the end this will be a positive experience that I will learn from, because I am going to make it a positive experience for myself and learn so much from it. I also got a Tumblr account, I love it. It's much like when I got Twitter, it's opened up a new world of accessing people. Plus since I have no followers and don't follow anyone else it's like an online diary of my thoughts. Love it.


Jennie... GET OVER YOURSELF.

No comments:

Post a Comment