Wednesday 25 May 2011

Secrets of the Super Brands

Last night, at about midnight I turned on the TV and started watching 'Secrets of the Super Brands' which I was just about to turn over but it started getting interesting. I was soon becoming fascinated with how these brands came about. Especially the most historic ones like Adidas and Puma, two brothers had a company making shoes and after 60 years they fell out making a company each which would rival - Adidas and Puma. I just found it interesting really. 


One thing that did catch my eye was when the presenter talked about Superdry and asked people what country they thought it came from. Everyone said Japan - I would have said America but I don't really shop there. But in fact, Superdry is from England - The most unexpected country. Looking at their designs now, I see there is a Japanese influence and the idea stemmed from a visit to Tokyo and the idea that they are trying to copy America but are a bit behind - hence the American gas style signs you used to see in America.







It showed the offices that Superdry designs in, it was quite small but there was a little corner with a man designing the logos. He had a massive poster full of little designs which made my eyes widen, it was amazing how he had come up with loads of versions of practically the same thing. His office was filled with inspiration, the old American signage, Japanese toys, photographs and general thought provokers for the designer. 

It made me think, I could be in a job like that one day - He looked as though he loved doing it which was nice and made me excited for the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment